This was originally posted on LawHelpNY. To learn more about LawHelpNY visit:  

If you live in New York and the recent storms and floods have affected you, find out about help from the government.  After some disasters, the federal government offers recovery support and guidance. To check if federal help is available in your area, please visit Go to the official news of the New York Governor’s Office for updates here

Help with Recovery & Damaged Property 

  • If you need information about your area, you can either call 211 or search online here. The 211 helpline can answer your questions. 
  • A lot of nonprofit organizations offer free support for response and recovery after a disaster. You can find one near your location by clicking here.
  • If you’re a homeowner and the disaster damaged your home, you can apply for emergency repair grants of up to $50,000. To apply, go to or call (845) 713-4568 ext. 114 for more information. 
  • If you lost or damaged an important document, find information here on replacing it. Examples include social security cards, medical cards, military records, immigration records, bank records, passports, and tax returns. 
  • If you lost a credit card, you can call the bank that issued the card to get a new one. Call your credit card company if your credit card was not issued by your bank. Major credit card companies include:
    • American Express: 1-800-992-3404
    • Discover: 1-800-347-2683
    • MasterCard: 1-800-627-8372
    • VISA: 1-800-847-2911
  • If you need to replace your debit card, contact your bank. They can tell you how to replace your card. If you’re not sure how to contact your bank or credit union, call the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) at 1-877-275-3342. They can help you too. 
  • If you need to submit a claim with your insurance company, this guide can help. 

If you have a legal problem, a lawyer can help. 

Legal help organizations that offer free guidance and support for different issues, including: 

Immediately After a Disaster

  • Problems with your landlord 
  • Applying for government benefits
  • Applying for loans
  • Getting covered by insurance
  • Replacing lost documents
  • Wage theft

1-6 Months After a Disaster

  • If federal disaster help is available in your area:
    • applying for Federal Emergency Management (FEMA) aid
    • appealing  FEMA denials or amounts awarded by FEMA
  • Renewing rent subsidies or other government benefits
  • Evictions and repair questions
  • Proving homeownership and “clearing” property title
  • Fighting for better  insurance claim coverage
  • Contractor scams and disputes
  • Powers of attorney for child care or the elderly
  • Modifying (changing) parenting orders to reflect new home and school locations
  • Estate planning

6 Months to Years After a Disaster

  • Home loan foreclosures
  • Bankruptcy
  • If federal disaster help is available in your area, defending against FEMA “recoupments” (when they ask for money back)
  • Applying for disaster tax relief
  • Disagreements about home elevation or significant home damage
  • Housing repair and mold issues

To find legal help near you, go to the legal help directory by LawHelpNY.

Finally, the New York Free Legal Answers website has free legal advice for disaster survivors.